I support Breast Cancer Care

Friday 7 August 2009

Shake Your Coconuts

I've bought new pyjamas for hospital. They say 'Shake Your Coconuts' on them, which made me chortle. After the op I might cross out the last 's'. I'll only be able to shake my cocoNUT then. I've also bought new slippers, and a dressing gown. Once the mastectomy is done I should get a bit more of an idea of what happens next. Joined a breast cancer forum and ordered a ton of leaflets which I've put in nice coloured folders according to whether they're about the disease, being a younger woman with breast ca (at least I'm young in some respects - bah), things to do after surgery, treatment and practical things like wigs and prosthetics. It makes me feel more in control and ever so slightly anal.
Now I've done all that I'm going to have a week off from cancer. I'm not going to think about it. I'm going to eat too much and drink my body weight in alcohol and get a sunburn. I'm going to flaunt my coconuts by the pool. I'm bored of cancer, and I'm not even a bit of the way through the whole thing yet.

One more thing. When my mam was diagnosed with cancer I prayed for it to be me instead of her. I didn't mean that I wanted cancer AS WELL. Ooh, God, you're such a card.

No comments:

Post a Comment