I support Breast Cancer Care

Sunday 27 February 2011

Pump It

I went for my first pumping up last week (tuesday) and wasn't really sure what to expect.  Was a bit worried about how much saline would be injected and how sore/tight it would feel but to be honest it was okay.  The nice lady consultant put a butterfly into the port, which is a big lump under my skin below my armpit, then injected 50 mls of saline while I was distracted talking about the state of the NHS.  I thought, 50 mls that's not a bad amount is it?  Then she appeared over me with another full 50 ml syringe and I panicked a bit but continued burbling on.  It felt tight afterwards, a bit like having a brick lurking under my pit but it looks better already, not as flat and although it's more pec-like than boob-like it's encouraging.  And if she injects that much every time (I go back every 2-3 weeks) then it shouldn't take too long till it's at the right size.  It'll eventually be bigger than my other boob and will stay that way for a time but hey-ho.  It'll be worth it.
I came home and me and Mr F treated ourselves to a MacDonalds' breakfast and then it started to feel really quite sore and tight so I took major painkillers and took myself off to bed for a bit.  Managed to go into work the day after but now we have to take our own annual leave to go to hospital appointments it means I'm either going to be using up all my leave or I'll have to go straight into work after the next pumping.  Grim.  But, will have to see how it goes.  
Will be glad when I'm at the end of all this.  Can't believe this July it'll be two years since my diagnosis.  
Have got a Sunday to myself while Mr F is in Brum sorting out family stuff so I might indulge in a little baking therapy and make some strawberry whoopie pies.  Yum!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment