I support Breast Cancer Care

Tuesday 1 February 2011

Ring-a-ding-ding/Tramadol Rocks

Crikey.  I can't believe it's been almost a year since I last boob blogged.  That's terrible.  It's been a wild couple of years (insert celebrity cliche of your choice here - "emotional roller coaster", "I've been on a journey" etc.)   
So...what's been occurring in my world.  I am now MARRIED!!!  I tied the knot with Mr F love of life on Sunday 30th May 2010.  It was the best day ever.  Laid back and fun fun fun just as I hoped it would be.  The sun shone, my dress looked aces, Mr F looked so, so handsome, we had cupcakes and Pimms and canapes and...oh, it was just lovely.  I should really post a photo here shouldn't I?  Oh go on then.




Photo courtesy of www.struvephotography.co.uk - our photographer Kristin was uh-MAZING.  I know I'm biased but they really are the best weddiing photos I've ever seen.  Such a wonderful day spent with all the people we love <3...
We honeymooned in Barbados and then moved house shortly after our return to a bigger property.  Mainly because we have added to our family - with a rather large dog.  Storm was a Valentine's Day present for Mr F and he's adorable and HUGE.  Mo's not impressed and they've had a few scuffles with Mo drawing blood.  He's still as grumpy as ever and twice as big.  Here's our Stormy:



He's a one year old Alaskan Malamute and a bit of a handful at times but we loves him.  He's currently fast asleep in the hallway.  And no blog post would be complete without a photo of Big Mo.



Here he is plotting world domination.
So far so happy.  I started a course at work to expand my repertoire in September and it gives me a bit more variety in my work and it's interesting so all good.

Anyroadup...I suppose I should talk about my boobs.  I had an appointment in November with Miss I about breast reconstruction, was prodded and poked and measured, shown some before and after photos for different types of recon and basically told I could have whichever operation I wanted.  After a month of reading and fannying about on t'web I plumped for the tissue expander breast recon.  This website shows the different types of recon here .  Basically the tissue expander based surgery is the least traumatic, less time in surgery, less chance of complications, less time off work etc. so it was the best option for me.  I couldn't bear the thought of a long stay in hospital and a long recovery time.  With the tissue expander it's inserted under the chest muscle and is injected with saline every 2 weeks until it's stretched the skin to be bigger than the size you eventually want to be.  Then it's removed and implants are inserted.  And yes, I've asked to go bigger so will be having implants on both sides.  I'm determined to get something out of this!  I was put on the waiting list in December and told it would be Spring but got a phone call in January asking if I could go in the following week.  Felt a bit guilty as I'd only just gone back to work after being off for 7 weeks or so. But hey ho, they were very lovely about it and I guess they knew it meant a lot to me to have it done.  I went in for the op last week, everything went well, the other inmates were lovely (no loony Junes this time!) had an overnight stay and was home the day after with a bucketload of painkillers (Tramadol rocks!)  It was sore as hell, much more so than I anticipated, but it's getting less sore every day.  I'm still super tired but that will get better.  I go to the outpatient clinic in 3 weeks to be pumped up for the first time.  So that's me boob wise.  

Although not everything in the garden has been rosy...tragically in October Mrs P lost the fight against the Big C.  She made it to the wedding and looked just beautiful, but after that her health deteriorated.  We were all with her when she died and that means a lot.  I managed to do the eulogy at her funeral after a bit of a wobbly start.  But it's hard, I miss her so much.  We all do.  I went back to work and thought I was doing ok but ended up going off with 'depressive disorder' in December.  I suppose everything just caught up with me.   
More potentially crap news (although nowhere near as sad as losing my beloved Mrs P)...saw the oncology registrar a couple of weeks ago and broached the thorny subject of my fertility.  Or lack of it.  He asked me if I'd had eggs frozen or ovarian preservation before treatment given my age - I said it wasn't offered.  At the time I was given tamoxifen and told it would give me menopausal symptoms, and the zolodex would stop my ovaries from working but that would go back to normal once I'd stopped the injections (or about 6 months after)...but this chap gave it to me straight and said that as I was 39 I may well have gone through the menopause on the medication.  And as I hadn't had any ovarian preservation or egg freezing then...bollocks.  I could feel myself wanting to cry.  He also said that even if I hadn't gone through the menopause and if I did get pregnant then a) the tamoxifen could cause serious problems with the developing fetus and b) although being pregnant means a drop in oestrogen giving birth means a sudden rise in oestrogen and as the tumour was oestrogen receptor positive there's a chance that the cancer might come back.  Hell.  So much to think about.  I came home and had a good cry with Mr F.  Suddenly I felt old and useless.  Mr F's been just brilliant about everything.  He's an angel.  But now we're going to have to go and see the onc and discuss all the options and whatever and God, it never ends does it?  Fecking cancer. 

1 comment:

  1. Big hugs, K. I know that's probably not much use, over the internet, but have lots of big hugs anyway. XXX

    ReplyDelete